Are you on budget and want to eat healthy? Here is a list of cheap nutritious foods for only $5.00 or less.
- Lentils (16 ounce bag) for $2.81. You can make a lentil soup. Lentils are super healthy and contain selenium, a mineral needed for the brain and thyroid.
- Organic Blue Corn Chips. 16 ounce bag for $4.49. Blue corn is a great source of selenium, which everyone needs.
- Organic Cage-Free Eggs (a dozen) for $2.50 – $3.19. Make sure they are soft-cooked for best digestion. Eggs contain vitamins, minerals, protein, and fat.
- A can of Sardines for $1.89 – $3.19. Sardines contain Vitamin D and Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Adults can have up to 3-4 cans per week. Stay away from other fish and seafood, due to toxicity.
- Organic Vegetables, including Carrots for $1.48 (lb), Broccoli for $1.98 (lb), Cabbage for $0.98 (lb), Green Beans (bag, frozen) for $1.69, Peas (bag, frozen) for $1.69 – $2.59, and Cauliflower for $1.98 (lb). Make sure you cook your organic vegetables. Adults should have up to 9 cups per day. You can also make carrot juice and have 10-12 ounces daily. Stay away from other juices, especially fruit.
- Certified Raw Dairy. If you are having any difficulty finding raw dairy in your area, go to realmilk.com. I will be speaking at a conference soon in Oregon and I did research on raw dairy sources available in this state, which there are many. A few examples of prices I found on this website under Oregon for raw dairy products include: Yogurt for $4.00 (32 ounces), Goat Cheese (4 ounces) for $4.00, and Full-Fat Milk (half-gallon) for $3.00.
- Organic Millet (bag) for $3.99. Millet contains minerals and B-vitamins.
- Organic Free-Range Chicken Drumsticks (1.50 lbs) for approximately $4.75.
Now that I have provided this list of cheap nutritious foods you can buy on a budget, everyone should be eating healthy. There should be no excuses. Eating healthy is one of several pillars we must follow for optimum health.
Photo Courtesy: Sage Ross
Latest posts by Kristen Harper (see all)
Subscribe To My Mailing List
Receive Tips to Keep You Healthy, Happy, and Motivated!